Help a Newcommer - '00 merc 90

RonRaetz

Cadet
Here's the history:<br /><br />Sometimes, but not always, slow out of the hole.<br />When OK from the hole, runs great and full 5000 rpm for about 1000 yds then drops back to 3800. Sounds as if its running fine - just won't give more than 3800. Also, changed all 3 plugs, did not help. All 3 plugs always wet."<br /><br />I ran boat like this maybe an hour or so a day for perhaps 5 or 6 days over a two week period after putting in new plugs.<br /><br />I took a good look at plugs today. Top plug looks different from other two;<br /><br />Top: center electrode is black, white middle part is very white with a small black “smile” at the outer edge. <br /><br />Other two: center electrode is silver or gray, white center is slightly off white with no “smile”<br /><br />Also, looking at the top of the cylinder, Top is noticeably cleaner than bottom two.<br /><br />Also, I had changed all plugs and got no improvement. Cleaned off old plugs and one of them had black center electrode, others were gray. Have lost tract of which one was top.<br /><br />Can anyone tell me if I have one bad cylinder or two?<br />CDM or something else?

superman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help a Newcommer - '00 merc 90

Among other thingsthe white plugs and clean cylinders sound like possibly gettiing water in the cylinders. need to persue this a little more. Could be a blown headgasket or crack. check and make sure all head bolt are torqued. Also if you still have oil injected hooked up you might want to check that too.Good luck

It sounds like you are having problems with the rev limiter.I not quite sure though. I have a 1999<br />merc 90 . It is not running at this moment. Have a repair manual on order. I will see if these motors do have rev limiter or not. If i come up with anything I'll post it.

orca

Chief Petty Officer

G'Day. Sorry superman, but I think that you are way off track. The 2000 90Hp Merc 2 Stroke (I presume it is two stroke) does not have a removable head,so the head gasket cannot be blown. I think that you have a fuel starvation problem, dirt in fuel or similar, try a seperate tank and hose and see if the motor runs better. Inspect the fuel filter on the motor for dirt or water. As you have a 2000 model it should still be covered by new motor warranty. have a talk to your dealer and see if he can help.