Brown Wire Disconnected?

bryanredfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2002 Merc. 90 (Saltwater) -- was flushing the motor (using the integral hose attachment) and noticed that a brown wire appeared disconnected. There are a few other wires that are capped, but this one seems to have come undone. It just had the 100 hour service, and everything was fine. Ran it all day yesterday - fine. What is this brown wire for? It's located on the starboard side at the wiring harness, toward the bottom the engine. Thanks much for your help.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Brown Wire Disconnected?

Outboard manufacturers color code lists a tan wire for the overheat sensor.<br />This is the only color close to brown.Though <br />other colors may be used and not be on the chart.

bryanredfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Spike:<br /><br />Perhaps my eyesight is going with my age. It very well may be tan. So, you don't think there would be harm in reconnecting it? Thanks for your response.

bryanredfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Incidently, is it possible to purchase a manual for a 2002 Merc.? I've checked on iboats.com, and I can't seem to locate one. Granted, if anything catastrophic occurs, I am under warranty; however, I would like to understand what's going on. Any ideas or sources???

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Don' know where Spike got off to. This brown/tan wire you found, what's on the end of it? Is it a knife connector or plug-in or what?<br />As far as a manual, I'd go to the dealer I bought the engine from.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

bryanredfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hooty,<br />It is a plug-in connector, with a male and female end. All the others are connected. By the way, awhile back, I sucked some sand into the impellar, which I had to replace. The motor never overheated, I just noticed that the tell-tale wasn't as strong (fortunately, I was one minute from the launch). When the mechanic replaced the impellar, might he have disconnected the over-heat sensor for some reason? Thanks Hooty.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

If it's the hi-temp switch, you could touch it to ground and see if hi-temp horn sounds.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Brian, this wire is used when you have a temperature guage in the dash...no guage, the wire is not hooked to anything.

bryanredfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ODDD1,<br /><br />Thanks for the reply. Umm...guess I'd better go unhook it then, since I don't have a temperature gauge. I appreciate your response. <br /><br />Unrelated -- tomorrow I'm off to the dealer to have more warranty work done (3rd time). Hopefully this will take care of all the issues. Seems I'm having some pretty serious carb. problems.

Kid Stuff

Cadet

I have the same engine on a 2002 Boston Whaler 16 Dauntless and the same wire has been disconnected since I took delivery. I dont think it is for an in dash temp guage as my boat has one. I think I remember the manual says it is for a trim indicator guage. If you ask your mechanic, please post the answer. Also, my engine runs flawlessly since new but I have heard others complain about the rough idle. I adjusted the carbs at one and a half tuns out and that seems to be the best all around. Also, since I have a 45 gallon tank, I run MDR all the time and I think it gives me a cleaner burn and smoother idle.

bryanredfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Kid Stuff:<br />You have my dream boat! Attach a picture if you have a chance. I'll talk to my mechanic later this week and get back to you. Forward your e-mail to me if you like. What exactly is MDR? Yes, my idle is very rough. Perhaps MDR -- whatever it is -- might help. Thanks.<br /><br />Bryan