mercury won't idle

tomko

Cadet
I have a 1982 mercury out board that won't idle. I can use the cold start button on my control to increase the throttle and it starts but when I bring the control lever back to neutral it stalls.I changed the gas,cleaned out the carb,and changed the spark plugs,but it still won't idle. I tried to adjust the screws on the carb but it didn't make any difference. Any ideas? thanks

RICKRICK1

Ensign
Re: mercury won't idle

Sounds like its time to overhaul the carbs and replace needle and seats. Also might ensure throttle to carb linkage is set right. Would be most helpful if year and hp was posted also.

sloopy

Commander

if it is a 9.9 hp, its the compression!!!! there was a big desine flaw in a certen number of the 9.9s becuase the seal around the powerhead would expand at higher rpms and stay that way when the engine got cooler again?

Neikensnest

Cadet

I also have the same problem. I have an 88 135hp merc. I saw on this site another guy who was adjusting his idle. When out of the water it should idle faster because the exaust is not restricted from being under water. Do not take my word! I adjusted the idle and can get it into gear now. But I think there may be somthing causing it to do this. Good luck. I did the same exact things you did.

Neikensnest

Cadet

I think I found the culprit for my bad idle. I found a loose ground wire on one of the coils!

tomko

Cadet

My engine is a 1982 but it only has maybe 150 hours on it. Would the carb need rebuilt allready? Sometimes when I start the engine the primer bulb stays soft or it collapses and doesn't bounce back.Could this be my problem? What causes the bulb to collapse? Thanks.

mikebob

Cadet

I had idle problems with my 73 merc 85hp and i found i was setting idle to specs with a flusher in the driveway. i finally just loaded it up one day took it to lake just to put it in water to work on it. set it in forward gear pointed it towards middle of lake and started working. i think it all has to be set in water in forward gear because since i did that it works great. it idles 600 in the water and about 950 with a flusher. When i set it at 600 with a flusher it would just die when i put it in gear.. good luck

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Tomko, it sounds like the primer bulb is bad. It should come back out when you mash it untill your carbs are full and the floats shut off and then the ball will be solid. As far as any adjustments, it is best to do them in water but leave them on your trailer while doing this. It is safer this way and if you fall in, :D you won't have near the chance of drowning. Just my .02 worth.