100 hp Mercury

willielumplump

Recruit
I have a 92 Merc 100 hp 4 cly. Good compresson,<br />put in new plugs, after it sits awhile it will not start, pulled plugs seems to be flooded, clean plugs runs great, starts in garage over and over good, put back in water run for a hour, then it wont start again? even if it sits for 24hrs. Ran fule line cleaner thru it same thing happen the next time I went out. any ideas?<br />Thanks<br />willielumplump prentiss@uslink.net :(

stalker170

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 100 hp Mercury

Maybe you are getting a weak spark after the motor warms up. Sounds like may be something in you ignition system is on its way out. If you have gas, you need air and spark and she will run. The part where you are saying AFTER SHE WARMS UP IT WILL NOT STARTS, sounds like someting electrical is braking down after some running time.<br /><br />Cure; I suppose you could take it to someone and have them check the electrical system with a Meter after she warms up. They should check when she is cold, than after she warms up. See if there is a difference. You should get a manual on your motor and you can do the test yourself with a ohm meter. You can find some on e-bay.<br /><br />Stalker

willielumplump

Recruit

Its not the temp that is causing it, Iet it set for 24 hrs and it wont start, check plugs after trying to start it and they seem to be flooded.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

How much water do you have in that fuel?How old is that fuel?Might be a good place to start looking.

stalker170

Seaman Apprentice

After you have run the motor, and let it set for 24 hrs, are all the plugs wet? Or just one or two. And as long as you put in new plugs she will start? If you let it set in the garage after it runs, in 24hrs are all the plugs wet than also?<br /><br />Stalker

willielumplump

Recruit

Yes Stalker the plugs are wet, even after 24 hours,(in the water) and plugs were dry after 24 hours in garage, after a run on the lake and I put it back on lift, about 3 hours later it would not start again. I tried the next day and it still would not start. flooded, pulled boat out of water and checked plugs ..wet again. :confused: leak? all 4 carbs floats stuck? where do I start..? new fule