Chrome cylinder honing?

Ryans Toy

Cadet
I have a mercury 200 hp 89 with chrome cylinders<br />one of the cylinders is scratched.Can i flex hone the chrome and still use the cylinder without resleeving?

S.T. Marine

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Chrome cylinder honing?

Have to resleave.... I hate when they do that!!!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

See? Told ya.<br /><br />Good luck!

Trent

Captain

Ok..I'll say Iv never done this to an outboard engine. However we flexhone aircraft cylinders (Chrome) all the time... Give me the scoop on why not??

S.T. Marine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why not??? Becasue mercury 200 hp older mercs with crome cylinders suck.... Only for that reason. I have no clue y they do that they just do.... to get your money they are out to get YOU@!@@@#!#%%#

HowieDean

Seaman

The Nical layer on the cylinder wallis VERY thin... Then it gets worn down over the life of the motor... If you could hone it and not brake through the plating you could pull it off... In the real world this ain't gonna happen... How long has this motor done what it was made to do ??? So it's going to cost an extra Hundred bucks over just having it bored.. I still think the old 2.4's were some **** good motors...

Capt Ken

Commander

Trent, being I've never worked on a aircraft cylinder, I don't know how they are chromed, but the Mercury chroming is very thin and when you try to hone one, the chrome starts flaking off and before long, you have a real mess. We use to just send them out and have all the cylinders bored to rid them of the chrome and start over with fresh steel cylinders.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Just a reminder Ryan - when you decide what to do (sleeve or rechrome) go back to your original thread on this subject and reread the discussion about rings. Thats very important.<br /><br />Good luck!

clanton

Rear Admiral

Try www,screamandfly.com search or post, anything you want to know about a merc, but the end of story still the same, install steel sleeve.