NEW-OLD EVINRUDE 40 HP, 1988

CARLOS

Petty Officer 3rd Class
A FRIEND WANTS TO SELL ME A 40HP EVINRUDE 40HP,1988 WITH "0" CERO HOURS OF OPERATION...(HE BOUGHT TIME AGO BUT NEVER USED...)<br />MY QUESTIONS:<br />1- HAS THESE ENGINE ANY INTERNAL PROTECTIVE COAT IN THE CRANKSHAFT, CILINDER WALLS, ETC, FROM MANUFACTURER? <br />2- EVEN THE ENGINE HAS BEEN UNDER STOCK CONDITION FOR MORE THAN 16 YEARS,(STILL IN THE ORIGINAL BOX), HOW CAN I CONFIRM THAT THIS ENGINE IS NOT CORRODED IN THE CRANKSHAFT?<br />3- ANY OTHER PART MAY BE DAMAGED BECAUSE ENGINE NEVER USED?...LIKE RUBBER PARTS,IMPELLER,CARBURATOR,ETC?<br />FOR YOUR REFERENCE,I REMOVED THE SPARK PLUGS AND THEY ARE IN MIND CONDITIONS...<br />THANKS<br /><br />CARLOS<br />VENEZUELA

rwise

Captain
Re: NEW-OLD EVINRUDE 40 HP, 1988

rubber parts decay with time, in the carb, water pump, whereever they are. if its not locked up and its a good deal I would go for it, if its locked up, and a good enuf (enough) deal I'ld go for it antway! 4 or so more years and collectors may want it (still in the box). don't know about coatings the mfg'er might have put own/in it, but if it's been kept dry I would not think it's hurt, just old. Also the wiring may have dried out and be brittle, maybe coils cracked with age. I am no xpert, just a mushroom!