dual lever controls

phatmanmike

Captain
hi. i have a merc 1976 1150 I6 with a black box mercontrols. this is a general question, so i thought id post it here.<br /><br />can i use those dual lever controls , the ones with the black nob and the red nob, and use one handle for shifting and one handle for throttle? i see in the adds that they are available for outboards.<br /><br />do they have any safety features such as keeping me from shifting from forward to reverse at 4200 rpms?!? i can handle my own neutral safety switch problems myself, but id be worried about changing gears at WOT

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: dual lever controls

Mike, If you look at the application information for those controls, it will likely answer your question. Also you could email the maunfacturer with the question.<br /><br />I guess I wonder why you want to make the change. I had an old Johnson outboard with dual levers. It was a pain in the a** to use, in comparison to the single lever. One thing, if the dual lever controls do not have a ignition kill switch (like an I/O), it can be hard to get the motor out of gear, if your speed is above idle.