Engine explosion

Tom Ostermann

Recruit
Our problem is with a 1998 135 Mercury Optimax motor. The last two times we've had our boat out, we have experienced explosions in the motor. The first time was about 6wks ago, and then again yesterday. Both times we had gone to shore and stopped for about an hour. Upon restarting the engine an explosion occured, strong enough to blow the engine hood up about 10 inches and crack the fiberglass this last time. The first time it was just a loud noise. Following the explosion there was a significant amount of smoke under the engine hood. We did restart and the engine ran OK after both occurances. After the first time, we took it to the shop and they couldn't find any problems. Both times we had a sensor light up while operating the boat. The first time, was a check engine light, and the second, was a temp light. We stopped the motor both times and looked under the hood, then replaced it and restarted the motor with no reoccurance of the sensor problem and headed to shore. :eek:

Greg Lawrence

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Engine explosion

dood. that sounds like serious. i bet you got a gas leak, that would make a good explosion. what about fire?

iRich

Petty Officer 1st Class

you have two things;<br />1. A gas leak<br />2. A spark coming from somewhere it shouldn't<br /> I wouldn't take this boat out on a bet until you get it fixed. find a new mechanic.<br />Rich

sloopy

Commander

gas does not explode, the vapers do?!?!? something is Kooko! you said it happened two times and then stoped??? Did you notice any decrease in performance befor the load bangs and the cowl flying in the air? sounds like the a leak in the gear case? the powerhead? the Injectors???

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Please take it to a reliable Mechanic!!! The Money you spend may well save your life! Good Luck,

had this happen to me once on a 12.9 chrysler it was a leak in the fuel line diffenatly dont run this outboard till its fixed it could blow you to kingdom come. clean the motor off with engine cleaner and flush the motor off with water making sure you dont get any water in carbs then pump up ball and see if you can see wher the gas is coming from hope this helps

Greg Lawrence

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah this kind of thing scares off the fishes for sure. you wont catch very many like this.

iRich

Petty Officer 1st Class

sloopy, you are proof that there are rare cases when abortion can be justified.<br /><br />Rich

brother chris

Commander

Just a thought...you have a gas leak, and then something has a short in it, and the gas staying under the hood creates vapors...and...BOOM. <br />Just my theory, but get it fixed before we don't hear from you again. :(

Hooty

Rear Admiral

How had you been running the engine before you stopped? Wfo? Trolling? Cruising? Duplicate that first and then removing cowling and check for fuel. May not be a leak. Could be blowing out carb(s). <br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Good advice Hooty. The only thing I would do different is try to run it WITHOUT the hood on and see if you could find a leak. Might be a bit safer to let the fumes escape, so it does'nt go BOOM!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Also, if there is a leak, I would try to find out what is igniting the Vapors.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

The thing about running the engine w/o the cowling is it runs real lean. I figure it's getting ignition from a sparkplug wire either at the plug or coil. If he just runs the engine to duplicate what happens before the big puff and then removes the cowling without re-starting, he'll be o-k.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

True! As it only does it on start-up. Should be able to see something then.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

It'll be interesting to find out what iz goin' on.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

RICKRICK1

Ensign

I would also check to ensure the srater is mounted properly and solinoid is ok and all wires are tight.

sloopy

Commander

so your saying I should of bean aborted?

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

Hummmmm, You should take that engine to a good, reliable dealer who knows how to take the hood off, Oh, that's right, it's already off!! And tell him that HE should check the darn thing out as you value your life and will not do the troubleshooting for Mercury !!!!! Create a papertrail for resolution of this problem. If the dealer can not find anything (then he ain't looking hard enough), or even if he can, have him contact Mercury.