how do I remove my power head??

fiznat

Recruit
I had problems earlier with my 85 merc 650 a couple weeks ago if anyone remembers, and I found the problem: the first (of three) cylinders had no compression at all due to a completly torn up piston... a ring must've came off and caught the end of it and just ripped it to peices. <br /><br />... so I've been TRYING to take the complete power head off so I could split it and see what's up with the connecting rod/bearings (to see just HOW messed up the whole thing is, and what needs to be replaced), but it's being really difficult. I got all of the bolts that connect it to the exhaust plate, and removed all the shift, pump, etc linkages that might get in the way, but the head still wont lift off the lower half.. I got myself a pulley tied to the flywheel at the top, and I pulled on it till I lifted up the whole boat off the trailer, but nothing seems to budge. Does anybody know of any technique to loosen up the seals that are probably keeping me from lifting, or am I missing something? help!

S.T. Marine

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: how do I remove my power head??

Should come right off. Make sure you have all the nuts off the bottom of the studs on the powerhead. Undo all the hoses that will intefear with the removal. Might try to pry it with a pry bar. ..... But be carefull not to damage the seat of where the powerhead meets the base. try tapping the motor also with a mallet. Is the lower off??? Drive shaft might be frozen to the crank... that would suck I hate when that happens!!! Then you have to get out da cutting torch and cut the drive shaft. O well Good luck

AndyL

Petty Officer 1st Class

G'day,<br />I posted a note with a similar problem I had on a V6 merc. Picked the boat up by the flywheel and it still would not budge. Luckily I was only trying to do some preventative maintenance so when I gave up all was not lost. Had some good advice from this forum as what I was told locally would have cost millions of dog dollars to put right afterwards. My problem seems to be the long studs at the front of the engine corroded into to alloy. Someone did suggest turning the motor upside down and build a "moat" around the studs then fill it with release oil or concrete cleaner and leave it soak in for a fortnight. The other suggestion was dynamite. <br />The very best of luck with yours but I am not going to try again.

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

I've just had the same problem lifting the power head on an old V4 Evinrude, the studs at the front of the motor had seriously corroded into the ally. I got them free by using a steam power hose set on the hottest temp and gave the studs a good 15 min blasting, the steam shifted a lot of the ally oxide and also must have heated the metal sufficiantly to move the studs. The head came away no problem. Be prepaired to get very wet in the process.<br />Good Luck