carb problem

viperman1

Cadet
1974 merc 50 hp my boat sank last year and now it wont take in fuel when i prime the bulb it com es spitting out of the engine any help would be great

dymo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: carb problem

First question would be, where is the fuel coming from. I mean, where on the motor?

dymo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the fuel is coming from the little hole on the upper side of the carbs, I would say it's a stuck needle valve or float restiction.<br /><br />I had somewhat the same problem and found that I had a sticking float. Verify that the floats and needle valves are moving without restriction.<br /><br />Dymo

viperman1

Cadet

im a new boater im not sure what to look at how can i see if the floats are stuck or check for what u just said any help would be great thanks

viperman1

Cadet

im a new boater im not sure what to look at how can i see if the floats are stuck or check for what u just said any help would be great thanks

Whitlers

Seaman

As a new boater the best advise I could give (And please dont take this wrong) is to get a GOOD service manual. To check the float you will have to remove the carb. remove the bowl on the bottom of the carb there you will find the float. Invert the carb and make sure the float is parallel to the carb housing. while you have the float exposed you will want to revome the float and make sure the float needle is clean and the port is not cloged.<br /><br />Hope this helps.