How to test stator on my merc?

Gartrade

Recruit
  • Hi all, I have a 1977 850 merc with very weak and sometimes no spark. I found a merc repair man who had a new switch box lying around that he let me try but it didn't help. I was thinking it might be the stator (not that I would really know) but I don't have a clue how to test it. I have a VOM meter to test it if someone has an idea how to chack it. Thanks in advance, Gartrade

Gartrade

Recruit
Re: How to test stator on my merc?

I ohmed the four lines from the stator to ground and to each other and everything was open except for the red wire to the red/white which had 65 ohms. Is this good or bad?? I also ohmed the four wires on the trigger plate to ground and each other and everything was open excpet for brown to white/black, whiched ohmed at .865K ohm.<br />Good, bad or ugly!!!

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer

really don't know the colors on your stator but you should take a reading on the wires that feed the low side and the colors that feed the high side.on my force 120 there are red @blue solid @ red @ blue with a stripe solid feed the low side so testing the resistance on these two color(solid ) ,then the same on the stripe wires .

Gartrade

Recruit

Thanks Bear, I think the second web site you gave me answered my question. I believe my stator is bad because I got a good ohm reading on my red to red/white wire, but on my blue to blue/white wire I got no reading and should have. I,ll let you know when my new stator comes. Thanks again<br /> Lonewolf5347 did you get your Force running yet?