2001 40hp Merc 2 cyl. Fuel Pump?

chrismc

Cadet
I have a 2001 40 hp merc outboard. I used it last week, with almost no problem. It was the first time after the winter, and I attributed it to burning off fogging oil. It seemed to hesitate a little on acceleration, and I could only run at 5k rpm, where I normally run at 5.5k. I tried to use the boat today, and it kept stalling. Each time it was about to stall, I had to push in the key, which shot the rpms up for about 30 seconds, then it would stall again unless I hit the button. Is this a bad fuel pump or poorly adjusted carb? I'm thinking fuel pump, but I would value any opinion! Thanks. Chris

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 2001 40hp Merc 2 cyl. Fuel Pump?

Could any of a number of things such as clogged tank pickup screen, air leak between the tank and fuel pump, bad primer bulb, cracked hose, clogged/closed tank vent, clogged fuel filter under the cover. If those things are all good, could be bad fuel pump or carbs needing cleaning. I assume pushing the ignition key activates the choke.

chrismc

Cadet

Today, I checked all the hoses (both external and internal) and they seemed fine. I pulled the carb and opened it up, and to my surprise it was immacculate! I cleaned up the outside, and re-installed it. I disconnected the outlet hose on the fuel pump, and cranked the engine. I got some fuel spurting out, but I don't know what to gauge it by! I pulled the pump off and opened it up to inspect the diaphram, and found that some of the inside gasket material was kinda flapping. I will be getting either a rebuild kit or a new fuel pump depending on my cost tomorrow. Hopefully, that will solve the problem. Can anyone else think of anything else I can do? I intend to fix this tomorrow. After I install the new pump, I want to go fishing!

chrismc

Cadet

I pulled and cleaned the carb. They were very clean. I also replaced the fuel pump (I get parts at cost), and I'm still having the same problem. I was thinking about checking the float height in the bowl. Is it possible that there is something lodged in the idle needle? When I pulled it out yesterday, it looked like a screw with a pointy end. Is that what it's supposed to look like? (no clue...). Thanks.

chrismc

Cadet

Problem solved. I replaced all the internal fuel lines, pulled the carb again, and really got medieval... I pulled everything apart and SOAKED it in carb cleaner. I'm also getting a new gas can and fuel lines and fresh gas just to be on the safe side. Thanks.