Mercury Problems/Flywheel

green95hoe

Cadet
Hello, I recently purchased a boat with the Mercury 90 HP 3cyl. I couldnt get it to run on all 3 cyls so I figured plugs and wires needed replcement since they were corroded. I ended up replacing plugs, wires, coils and the switchbox all to no avail she still runs on 2 cyls. Im blaming this on a weak spark at this point. Very hard to start and idles rough. Carbs have been rebuilt. Im tired of spending money. I pulled off the flwheel to check for chafed wires underneath and found a broken magnet in the flywheel. Not sure if I did it or it was like that before. SO first problem is should I blame this on bad charging system/stator or the magnets and seconf problem is I cnat buy just the magnets and not a chance im payin 400+ for a flywheel when I only paid 500 for the boat. Anyone know where I can score a used Flywheel asap. I refuse to pay someone 75 bucks an hour to fix this if I can figure it out myself and it appears to me that with the knowledge floating around on this site I will be all set. Thanx Guys Brad

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercury Problems/Flywheel

How did you remove the flywheel?

green95hoe

Cadet

with a three jaw flywhell puller. But I think in the process of tapping the center stud a few times it shook one of the magnets loose

green95hoe

Cadet

well it looks like I found a flywheel cheap about 2 hours down the road so im gonna pick that up and while ive got the top apart im gonna get a stator as well. I just wish someone could tell me if it makes sense that these were the problem in the first place. Should I question the voltage regulator at all. I know that I couldnt get one of the screws off it because the pole was just turning inside the unit but would this be the cause of my problems or would it cease to run at all.