Rebuild or Scrap?

wildere

Recruit
My 94 Force 90hp was recently rebuilt by a reputable mechanic because the #2 piston melted. All three pistons were replaced and no other damage was noted. Ran fine for approx 20 hrs then threw the #3 rod threw the side of the crankcase. Is it worth replacing the powerhead at over $2k or scrap it? I am also wondering if any of the slightly used parts are interchangable with any other makes/models such as Mercs?

Archer11ca

Cadet
Re: Rebuild or Scrap?

Sounds like you have already put some time and money into this engine, you can replace the powerhead but do you want to sink more into the old girl. The problem is that with the repairs you have done and need to do other problems can show up as a result. They may not be evident until they go. I would suggest you look for the same year and HP so that you have spare parts. :cool:

ewaltb

Seaman

Scrap it. Not worth $2k. You can get a used motor in better shape for that price.

wildere

Recruit

Thanks for the insight. That's why I was wondering about part interchangability. Either way sounds like getting another Force might be the best answer.

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMHO it's not worth the dubious parts value of the old motor to subject yourself to another force. Cut your losses now. Sell the old hulk for $50 and then you are free to sample the whole marketplace to get the best deal going on something (anything) else.