Did this hurt anything?

Nacman

Cadet
Ref: 1992? Mercury 150 efi; Serial# 0D240096<br /><br />I have an Astro 18" with this engine on it. I have only had it 1 month or so. Anyway, not being knowledgeable with outboards I had a local wrench at a Mercury shop look into the engine. Apparently as the cowl was put back on, the side latch plate caught the middle cylinder plug wire and pulled it from where it connects ( don't know terminology), it was still connected on the plug. Not knowing this I ran it on the lake soon after and it ran ok but seemed a little weak. I have since decided I need to learn about my engine, bought a service manual and already changed my impeller. That is when I noticed the wire off. The engine runs great now, idles at 700 rpm in forward gear, although the engine is "jumpy" at idle. Runs 60+ wide open. <br /><br />The only difference I see now is it is HARD to start the first time in water on last two trips to lake, or with muffs in driveway. It used to fire right up. Did this plug wire being off hurt the ignition system or the cylinder itself?? <br /><br />Any ideas? Nac

Duckboater

Cadet
Re: Did this hurt anything?

the unburned fuel and oil probably just fouled your plug a little on that cylinder. I bet if you remove the spark plug in question and clean/replace it your problems will go away.

Nacman

Cadet
Re: Did this hurt anything?

Thanks Duck... I figured about the same thing, but not knowing a thing about these engines....But I should have added that I put 6 new plugs in after I discovered the plug wire off.<br /><br />-Nac