First Time Boat Owner - Questions

Nacman

Cadet
Ref: 1992? Mercury 150 efi; Serial# 0D240096<br /><br />I have looked through this board and read every post with impeller in it. Upon reading the advice of several here, I purchased SELOC's service manual for my 1993 Merc 2.5 efi. I had the boat and engine inspected by a local dealer mechanic here in Georgia. The report I got back was good, I think :rolleyes: . He reported the compression as follows:<br /><br />Cyl 1,3,5 all at 125 psi Cyl 2,4,6 all at 120 psi. SELOC manual says 125 is what it should be, with no more than 15 psi difference between any two cylinders. I noticed that the difference I had was divided between power head sides. Anything to worry about here?? :confused: <br /> <br /><br />Thanks in advance....Great resource here. :) <br />Nacman

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: First Time Boat Owner - Questions

I dont see anything unusual about that. Sounds good to me. How does it run? I guess you are chnging the water pump assembly. Good idea.<br /><br />Good luck!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Nope no worries at all. One head may be a few thousandths thicker or thinner (half full vs half empty) or there may be a slight gasket differance but you are fine. <br /><br />Those are consistant numbers.<br /><br />Run it!<br /><br />Bob

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Great minds think alike and probably hit this baord at the same time! Good morning again Mr. DHadley. :D <br /><br />Bob

Nacman

Cadet

Thanks guys...I edited my post but forgot to remove the impeller reference. I did change the impeller and found surface cracks in it but nothing broken off. Since the change the temp is cooler by 5-10 degress, hovering around 160 now. The only issue I have is it sometimes WON'T fire, other times (usually) it cranks up in 3-4 seconds from cold start.<br /><br />Ideas??<br /><br />I have the OEM manual coming this week, plan to look into this issue after camping this weekend. <br /><br />Thanks again <br />-nac

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Thats the first time I typed faster than ANYBODY! Lol! Good morning Bob!<br /><br />Nacman, be careful with that heat especially if your motor has top guided rods. <br /><br />Good luck!