Other fuel uses

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
This is a bit off-topic and it may get canned, but here goes. Does anyone out there rob their outboard fuel between outings to refuel their 40:1 weedeaters, leaf blowers, chain saws, etc; or is TCW-3 not good for these small engines. If it's OK, it just might cut down my trips to the gas station.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Other fuel uses

From what I've read on these foruns tcw-3 is designed to operate at a lower temp, the regular 2 cycle oil for a/c engines burns at a higher temp. Some have posted that they do the same thing your thinking about to do with no adverse affects. If you do this make sure your w/w is indeed a 40:1 ratio, and I didn't say you could do this.

LubeDude

Admiral

I dont want this to begin an oil debate, but I will tell you what I believe to be correct, and you can make your own choices.<br /><br />First, you are running your equipment on less oil than the manufacture requires by doing this.<br /><br />Second, even though some TC-W3 oils suggest that they can be used as air cooled oils, they actually are not designed as such. (Even though there are plenty of folks here on the forums that are doing it) But at the required mix ratio.<br /><br />Third, The best thing you can do for that little hummer is to use a good full synthetic oil. Concidering the amount of oil they use in a season, the cost isnt rally a factor. Mobil MX2T synthetic, is concidered one of the best air cooled oils on the market, AutoZone carries it. <br /><br />Fourth, Mix at the required ratio.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

All the small engines mentioned use a 40:1 mix, per manufacturer. I just didn't know if there was some additive or something in TC-W3 that wouldn't agree with them.<br /><br />As for synthetics, back in the early 80's I ran Amsoil in all 2-cycles I had at their recommended 100:1 ratio, even my outboard. Made it quite convenient. However, my Lawnboy seized so I'm a bit leary of synthetics, even though I'm not convinced that was the cause.

LubeDude

Admiral

Lawnboys had some serious problems years back and the 100:1 ratio was not recomended for them, Dealers recieved warnings about it.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

LubeDude,<br /> Thank for the info. That clears it up.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Amsoil oil is okay if you ignore that idiotic 100:1 BS they can't seem to find the intelligence to abandon. That alone has really put a black eye on that company. Mix it at the MOTOR Manufacturer's ratio and it does quite well.<br /><br />Water cooled 2-stroke oils will burn more completely in a hotter air cooled motor, but it could lack lubrication as a result. But the recommended ratios are usually rich enough that that shouldn't be a problem.<br /><br />I hope that muddies-up the water a bit. Haven't seen a good oil debate for days.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

The only fuel I have used on my weedwacker(15yrs old),lawnmower(13yrs old) snow blower(10 yrs old) and chainsaw (13yrs old),is my outboard fuel.Everything still runs perfect.Obviously it would be nearly impossible to convince me otherwise.Charlie

LubeDude

Admiral

Ya know WillBWrite, I couldnt agree more, Why have they continually rocked the boat. I have run the 100:1 many years ago in an early 85 hp Evenrude, and an 80s 75hp Evenrude, only mixed at 80:1 with great results, However, I see know reason to upset the apple cart with the 100:1 oil ratio when they could have formulated the same oil to be mixed at 50:1 and had more people willing to use it, and had it certified and done even better, MHO. I use there injector oil now in my Merc 150, and it can be mixed at 50:1 premix if you want. Id like to see them bottle the injector oil as a 50:1 oil and have it certified. It seems they almost try hard to keep from selling it.

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

I look after my outboards ('54 7.5 'rude, '03 90 Merc') religiously.<br /><br />My 15 year old lawn boy, 35 year old chainsaw and newer weed wacker I don't do anything to them. Run them on last years tcw3 at about 40:1 (some 24:1 gas and some 50:1 gas) and they run fine.<br /><br />My lawnboy starts everyspring at the first pull. Have now idea why. Next lawnmower is going to be a lawnboy again...<br /><br />Joe