mercury ignition switch

wakruem

Cadet
I have a 1972 Mercury outboard 40 hp.<br />I am in the process of installing another key<br />switch into the dash of the boat. This switch<br />was purchased from a local boat shop. It has three prongs (Ignition, Start, and Battery). I posted a question earlier in the week concerning wire connections from the motor to the switch. I received responses w/ wire diagrams, but I am still having problems making the connections.<br />Below is what I have done:<br /><br />Connected the yellow wire from solenoid to the START prong on the key switch.<br /><br />Connected the red wire from the solenoid to the IGNITION prong.<br /><br />Connected the black wire from the solenoid to the ground on the starter.<br /><br />Connected the orange/salmon wire from the switch box to a kill switch.<br /><br />When turning the key I here the solenoid kick in, but the starter is not doing anything. <br />Did I hook this up correctly or am I missing something. I would appreciate any help. I am not an expert at this and I'm trying to save money by doing it myself.<br /><br />Thank you,<br /><br />Wayne Kruemmel

wakruem

Cadet
Re: mercury ignition switch

Rick,<br /><br /> I just sent you a reply. BTW: The model is a MERC 400.<br /><br />Wayne