cleaning outboard (1985 Merc 7.5hp)

djfez

Recruit
I have a 1985 Mercury 7.5hp outboard. Is there any way the flush and clean the outboard motor other than submersing the shaft in a large bin of fresh water. Someone told me that there is not an attachment for this outboard to attach it to a hose to clean it, is this true.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: cleaning outboard (1985 Merc 7.5hp)

Yes, they are called "muffs". It is a simple device (very cheap too) that clips on the lower unit over the water intake holes and has a female hose attachment. This will work fine for flushing the salt and grime out of the engine or just plain old test starting.<br /><br />Bob

djfez

Recruit

the water intake is very close to the prop, in fact just above it. someone told me that with my model I cant use "muffs" is this a danger? do I hae to remove the prop?

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello.<br />The idea is that while you are flushing your engine ,you run it at idle and you do not engage the prop at all.<br />There should not be any problem doing it this way.<br />Good luck.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

A special bolt-on muff can be purchased for it. I wouldn't be too concerned with it getting-into the prop, but then,I don't use muffs on my 7.5HP Merc. I use a garbage can with a scuttle fitting in the botton of it, with a 4ft length of garden hose clamped onto it (for draining). It is portable,werks like a champ, and doubles as a wood bin sometimes.<br />And there are no "suprises" with pressure differences btween the spigott and the river....What you see is what you'll get.