rubber gas line (tank to engine)

Richard A

Recruit
My 1969 (I think) 35 twin merc resently started missing whenever I open up the throttle, ran for a while a low speed finally died and would not start.(first time out this year) Cleaned gas filter but it ran only a short time and would not start again. It was suggested that my priming gas line was shot the rubber was disintergrating and the rubber was clogging the filter plus too much air was getting in. I did notice when squeesing the bulb it never got hard. Is this possible? I know the clamps seem to keep cutting into the rubber and the old gas from last year was almost black for some reason or other.(I did not use last year gas)I am sure a new hose would be in order but my question is would a bad hose cause the lack of fuel to the engine? The boat gets very little use but has always ran great.<br />Any ideas,Richard

ahm

Cadet
Re: rubber gas line (tank to engine)

Yes it can cause problems. Apart from any dirt that the internal lining of the hose is producing, the non return valves either side of the priming bulb can can start clogging which can make it difficult to prime the engine and cause a gas restriction. The fact that the bulb doesn't get hard indicates to me that the non return valve on the tank side of the bulb is knackered. I would recommend you get a new line. Eliminate the simple and cheap options first.

Richard A

Recruit

UPDATE: <br />06-07-02 I changed the gas line and the bulb now gets hard,I also put in new plugs and recleaned the gas filter. Took the boat to the marina and launched,started the engine allowed to idle for 5 minutes and than put put around the marina for 5 minutes. Seem to be running ok so took it out into the river and open it up . ran good for 30 or so seconds and then started missing or hesitating slowed right down and it kept running turned around and headed back and it all of sudden shot ahead as if it got the gas but only for a little bit then it slowed down again and this time stalled and did not start back up. Got to the dock squeezed th bulb it started up again but rough used the high idle(black lever beside the throttle)it ran for 3 or 4 minutes put leaver down it stalled.<br />Must be some sort of fuel problem or carb.I was told to take the carb apart and check the float and needle but I have not done things like that for many years and to get at it would be a chore I think. I checked the filter it had some black stuff on it but not too much. It was also suggested that the gas tank I am using is too rusted inside and I shouyld used a new one. Al;so apparently the gas I used was a year old with no stabalizer in it.(I never used stabalizer before??)The gas was in a gerry gas can. So I will use a newer gas tank, with new gas mixture in it and try again. any other ideas out there would be appreciated greatly. thanks Richard

jimraelee

Cadet

things that come to mind when you mention it ran good for 30 sec is the carb float level an issue...maybe float level is too low and not allowing enough fuel in bowl to keep running... jim

Richard A

Recruit

Got the carb off and it was full of some sand like stuff. got it clean out and new gaskets etc.Got carb back on but have not got it going yet. maybe primed it too much. I try cranking it electric start tomorrow might have better luck.(had carb cleaned at a outboard shop)<br />Are the motors hard to start after carb cleaning???<br />Richard