What hose is this?

bigbluebirdy

Seaman
I'm sure somebody can tell me what the hose coming down on the right front side of my '86 Mercury Black Max 150 V6 is, right? It looks as if its some sort of overflow. It comes down next to the oil reservoir, next to the carbs. It was about four inches long and bone dry, like it hadn't been used. Open (not connected) on the bottom end. Anyway, it saved my bass the other day when 15 miles out, my motor, cruising at 4200rpm just plain lost power. I come to a dead stop and check the prop, and then notice fuel running down the left side of the motor. Pop the cowling, and see that the fuel injector(?) hose is broken in half. Hmmm, I thought the $400 bucks that at I spent at the shop this spring would involve the checking of the hoses, but live and learn, that is something I will do myself from now on. So, I notice this mystery overflow hose and promptly cut off three inches and replace the broken fuel line. Perfect fit. After about 10 minutes of trying to start, once she starts getting some fuel, she starts up and runs better than before. I imagine that cracked hose has been sucking in some air. I understand this is a pretty long post for "What hose is this?". <br /><br />You wouldn't believe it, but later in the day, the oil injection hose breaks in half and starts dumping out oil. I replaced that too.<br /><br />bbb

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: What hose is this?

That's darned creative, particularly if you did that all when you were out on the water.<br /><br />(sorry -- don't know what the mystery hose is, or was, but had to congratulate you on your creativity.)

bigbluebirdy

Seaman

oldboat,<br /><br />The first "incident" was fixed while I was drifting, hoping I didn't have to call for a $150 tow. Luckily, the oil hose broke right next to the mooring, and I promptly hit the auto parts store for 3 feet of hose to replace them all, and keep on the boat.<br /><br />I forgot before:<br />Happy 4th %* :cool: <br /><br />bbb

bigbluebirdy

Seaman

^<br /> ^<br /> ^<br /> ^<br /> ^<br /> ^<br /> ^<br /><br />Sorry, had to do it. I know this is the time all you guys who really know what you're doing are on.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />bbb