1986 Mariner 6cyl. 3 carb, carb problem?

JRBTS

Recruit
I have a 1986 90Hp, 6 cyl. 3 carb mariner outboard<br />Has ran great last ten years I have owned it<br />Yesterday was first I launced the boat this year.<br />Starts and idles Great, But when underway about 1/8 throttle starts chocking but never stalls<br />Full throttle runs maybe 10 maybe 11 MPH chocking all the time. When I give it throttle with out gears engaged it roars (never misses).<br />Changed filter, plugs, fresher gas, same problem<br />almost like water in carbs.<br />Winterized the same way last year as I aways do<br />Ran out of gas, fogged, covered and put away covered<br /><br />Any ideas

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1986 Mariner 6cyl. 3 carb, carb problem?

Howdy, JR.<br /><br />What happens if you pump your primer, choke it or squirt some fuel mix into the carbs?<br /><br />Starts running? Check and overhaul your fuel pump.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

JRBTS

Recruit

Fuel pump is what I was thinking also, I pumped the primer and it didn't affect it either way.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />JR

JB

Howdy, JR.<br /><br />If priming it doesn't help you probably have lost spark to several cyloinders. <br /><br />To find the dead cylinders, disable each spark plug while at idle. No drop in rpm, no power, dead cylinder. Check the spark on each dead cylinder by holding the plug against the bloce and turning the engine over. You need a hot, blue spark.<br /><br />Let us know what you find. :)

JRBTS

Recruit

I'll try that this evening, Thanks<br />If a cylinder was dead wouldn't it miss at idle also? Idle and throttle up (no gears engaged) has no miss and revs very nicely<br /><br />Your help is greatly appreciated<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Jrbts

JB

Howdy, JR.<br /><br />The biggest liar in the world is a V6 2 stroke idling on 3 or 4 cylinders. The only way to know for sure is to kill each one and watch for rpm drop. No drop, no power.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

MURX

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if it sounds normal and revs up fine under no load (neutral) it's a switchbox

Bob Blair

Recruit

I know you mentioned its gone to the shop.<br /><br />But, my 3 cyl. 90 HP that was doing as your is has been fixed. I rebuilt the carbs last saturday and its running just fine now. It was a bear to get them out. The bottom carb had old jelly like fuel in it and the main jet was frozen in place. I cleaned it up and all is well.