1971 Mercury 65hp overheated. Where to start?

Lilspenny

Recruit
I have a 1971 Mercury 65hp which overheated. I shut it down before seizure. Compression is 112 pounds on all three cylinders. Slight scarring on top piston. I pulled the heads and rings look good from what I can tell. Where do I go next to assure safe operation? Thanks, Lilspenny.

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1971 Mercury 65hp overheated. Where to start?

Are you using enough premix? If so,check the impeller and make sure it is in one piece, and not worn away. If it is, replace it. If it isn’t replace it anyway while you have it apart.<br />Make sure you check all water passages for debris.

Lilspenny

Recruit
Re: 1971 Mercury 65hp overheated. Where to start?

Thanks. The water impeller disentigrated. My main concern is running an engine which has overheated. Although compression is good on all three cylinders, one piston has a small pit on the ridge, about the size of a raisin. Should I run with extra oil during the first run? Also, what type gasket cement should I use when I go back up with it? I have a new impeller, gaskets, thermostat, plugs, all on order. Thanks for the help, I am a little nervous, as I am not a trained outboard mechanic. Do the port cover bolts need to be torqued to spec?, or just common sense? Thanks again. Lilspenny