problem with power trim on my boat.

captaincapsize

Recruit
Hi all, I have a 1990 90 hp Merc outboard, the trim wont lift the outboard, I brought it in and the guy said trim motor was toast and I would need another, he also said it was going to be almost $1400 canadian dollars for a new one and installed. Cant I just buy a new motor? He says <br />I have to buy the whole assembly including pump and cylinders. Any information, or where to buy just a pump if possible or tips for me would be greatly appreciated!!<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br /> :D

trevorcday

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: problem with power trim on my boat.

If your motor has the old three ram trim system then the original motor is no longer available. Up until recently the only part that Mercury had available to fix these units was a complete trim unit. CDI an aftermarket parts manufacturer came up with a kit to adapt a different motor which made for a much less expensive fix. Recently Mercury has come out with their own kit that adapts a different motor to your existing trim unit. The parts are still $500 or $600 Canadian but a lot better than a whole trim unit. If you can't find parts locally e-mail me direct at trevorcday@hotmail.com.

schmoedog

Seaman Apprentice

I have a Merc trim motor and pump that I just bought and found that you couldn't use it on my old 1978 Merc. It's from a 1987 Merc 150. It may be just what you want. I'll sell you the whole unit for $350.oo U.S. My e-mail is snowdog@core.com. The guy i bought it from said he just had it rebuilt and didn't use it after all. I just got it today and haven't even opened the box. Let me know if you want it. :cool:

clanton

Rear Admiral

I just seen the pump/motor assy, will try to find again, seems like 2/300.00 US. I think you can buy replacement motor also. You realy have to search. Try www.arcomarine.com.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Iboats has it listed for 420.00 US pump and motor, if you buy new insure that they include new o-rings, no 0-rings no sale, they are also hard to find.