Control Module?

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Control Module?

Need to know if carbuator, EFI and year?

clanton

Rear Admiral

One for warning alarm, idle stabilizer on some engines. Whats your problem?

vesselgreenhead

Seaman Apprentice

I could not achieve more than 4900 RPM's on my last couple of outings. The motor is only 8 months old and is still under warantee. The tech at the dealership tried everything such as changing the tach, props from 21 pitch all the way down to 16, lowering the motor on the transom,checked all the wiring and still could not determine what was wrong. He then called mercury, they said to change the rev. limiter, still nothing. Now he's telling me he is going to change the control module and then check the reeds? compression, spark and everything else is fine. I'm now getting worried if the darn thing is even going to start when he's finish scratching his head. what's next, an overhaul!!! I'm now questioning his so called expertise.

clanton

Rear Admiral

I would check compression, and fuel pressure, if these were up to specs, Run engine in test tank, dyno, or boat in lake, full throttle, with meter connected to pack output to coil, check each cylinder. I not sure, but I think you can run the engine with the modules disconnected for testing. Did they change the power packs/switchboxes?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

He lowered the motor to try to gain RPM? You sure he didn't raise it? That would gain RPM. <br /><br />You didn't mention how it runs (smooth?). He should check the basics like compression, spark and fuel delivery. If that checks out, a test wheel or dyno test will tell us if the problem is with the motor or boat. <br /><br />Good luck! Really.