can I use tachometer as power source?

g82martin

Recruit
I am in the process of re-wiring my boat and was wondering if it is ok to jump the negative and positive terminals from my tachometer to power my electrical panel which is also in my console. This would save me from having to run those two wires exclusively from my battery. The tachometer is wired to my throttle control box/ignition. My motor is a 1986 Mercury 90hp ob.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: can I use tachometer as power source?

Hey, watch out! In order to do this right, you should plan and design your electrics properly.<br /><br />If you decide to put your electric connections on the console, run one proper wire for neg and one for pos. from the battery posts. Connect the pos. to a fuse holder with sufficient fuses. For convenience the neg. may be connected to a common connector. Connect all devices pos' to the fuses and neg. to the common neg. point. This way each and every device will work indepentdently on it's own supply. The pos. side may be devided so that power is constant for some items and via ign. key for others.<br /><br />Making serial and/or common connections can cause dependancy between instruments or devices thus causing several items to fail when one has an error.<br /><br />The extra job running separate wires is well worth the durability of the final system.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Like UU said. <br />You cant pull over out on the water and electric fires realy suck!!!

Hooty

Rear Admiral

One more thing Martin, put yourself an inline fuse in that hot wire right at the battery. Like f_in sez, electrical fires (especially in a fiberglass boat) are bad juju.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty