1995 mercury 100 won't idle

fast525

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a carberated merc 100 that will not run below 4000 rpm unless you keep hitting the choke(tickler).It started after the fuel pump went out. I rebuilt the pump and replaced all fuel lines while I was at it . The pump seems to be mixing the gas and oil properly and has good pressure , I've purged ALL fuel and oil lines, checked for vacume and fuel leaks, the only thing odd about it is the top two carbs don't seem to be drawing (sucking) as hard as the bottom two . The only thing I can thing of is maybe a bad reed valve.any sugestionsor input would be greatly appreciated. Jeff

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1995 mercury 100 won't idle

Do a compression check and check your carb gaskets this sounds like a major vacuum leak which is affecting the other carbs.<br /><br />Bob

fast525

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bob , I've tried the old WD-40 around all mating surfaces and hose connection while running trick and got no results there . I'll do a compression check first thing in the a.m. I don't guess it could be an internal leak between the two top cyl. could it?

fast525

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've doe a compression test and while I was at it checked for spark and found that there was none on the top two cyl.would that indicate stator failure ? The bottom two are sparking hot and blue.

fast525

Petty Officer 2nd Class

model# OC106680<br />100hp Mercury<br />Whats the best way to check a stator on my 100 Merc ? I figured I'd start at the top and work my way down . The top two cyls are'nt firing and the stator has what looks like dried glue coming out of the rear starboard pick-up .