setting points on 1988 3.0L mercruiser?

pmgrape

Cadet
I just installed the mercruiser tune-up kit for my 1988 mercruiser 3.0L. It consisted of new rotor, condenser, and points. My problem is that I've never adjusted poinst before and cannot seem to figure out how to adjust them. I do have the feeler gauges and the proper point gap is on the engine.<br />Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: setting points on 1988 3.0L mercruiser?

I'am sure it the same as a 3.0L OMC. After you get them installed the hard part is getting motor to stop on the high point of one of the lobes in the distribitor. I usually put a wrench on the front of the harmonic ballancer and turn engine that way but can tap starter until get it on lobe. At that point loosen the mounting screw and set to .018. At that point engine should start so can hook up a dwell meter and check it for 30 degrees. If new points can set the gap to .019. When complete should check engine timing with a timing light as gap can effect timing a little. If timing is off loosen distribitor mounting screw and turn distribitor to correct timing, tighten screw and your done. hope that helps. good luck.