20 hp Mariner running bad

gprestridge

Cadet
I have a 20 hp mariner-about 90 model--runs good at wide open speed but dies atlower speed-after some running new plug inspection showed one plug looked almost asif it hadn't been used-only slight gray/smoke color in one small spot-rest of plug still looked brand new--any thoughts

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 20 hp Mariner running bad

Welcome to iboats,Gp.<br /><br />If water gets into the cylinder, the heat will make steam, and steam clean the plug. I would check the compression before doing anything else.<br />Of course, water can also get into it from the gas tank,so check that too.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

You don't say which plug looked however.Is this engine new to you?By all means do the comp. check as suggested and take a little fuel sample to check that possibility.There are alot of conceivables here so more info might help.

gprestridge

Cadet

It was the bottom cylinder that looked as if the plug had never been fired except for one very small spot-the rest of the ring looked brand new--Actually this motor belongs to my Dad-he is very peculiar about clean gas etc..he assures me it has no water in it-I had some info wrong also--he fishes the Mississippi River and a day or so ago it ran up the river 20 minutes wide open fine then just suddenly shut down--like to have never cranked but finally did--ran lines running fair-then later almost ran battery down trying to crank it-got it cranked and ran 20 minutes or so wide open down the river-seems asif something might be heating up and shutting down-I told him to replace the plug which appears different and I also told him to check to be sure his tank line is not cracked or leaking at a fitting.any other suggestions appreciated..

gprestridge

Cadet

Now I know a little more-I went and tinkered with it some..Compression on bottom cylinder is 140 and top is 120--did finally getit cranked and it ran reasonably well (for a Mariner)killed it and it would hit but didn't want to run-kept trying and finally cranked again-many times when I hit the starter it would not turn over(like it was vapor locked or something)-I removed the bottom plug and it would turn over free-I replaced the bottom plug and removed the top plug and it would be "vapor locked" again-something going on with bottom cylinder-I'm just not sure what it is..fire looks strong..

gprestridge

Cadet

Somebody mentioned possibly a leaking exhaust gasket-they recommended replacing the two gaskets-facing the front of the motor,where are these gaskets.Easy to do??If same person sees this post please reply to gprestridge@netdoor.com--I've had computer problems and may have llost your previous reply.Thanks