Mercury/Mariner leg oil

stocky

Seaman Apprentice
I have a mid 80's 150hp 2S Mercury/Mariner V6. I am only new to boating and can anyone describe to me where to fill and drain the leg oil in this engine and also what volume of oil needed. Thanking you in advance.

Tracy Coleman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercury/Mariner leg oil

stocky<br />The "lower unit" oil drains from the big screw with a slot on the lower side of the gearcase, the rounded part in front of the prop. The "vent" screw is the same type of screw on the upper part of the gearcase housing, below where the gearcase housing is bolted to the mid-section. Pull both plugs , have the engine hanging straight down and drain. Fill from the bottom screw 'til it runs out the top screw, make sure both screws have their washers/gaskets on each screw. Gearcase holds about 22 oz. I recall. Buy a quart oil pump from your dealer and a quart of Merc lower unit oil and use the pump, a lot easier.<br />Backfire ;)

stocky

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks backfire. I have identified the screw labelled "vent" just above the rounded part in front of the prop but cannot find the other screw yet. Will have another look carefully this afternoon after work.

stocky

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks backfire, had a good look and found both screws. Looks like I will now have to purchase a impact screwdriver.