'65 MERC900 Won't Start

gw-west

Recruit
Can someone offer me some suggestions? I inherited a 1965 Merc 900E Outboard. I tried to start it and it does turn over, there is spark, but it won't start. If I spray staring fluid into the carbs, it fires up and runs for a couple seconds. There is fuel delivery to all 3 carbs. And I took all 3 apart, cleaned them and checked the floats. Everything looks good. I did notice that fuel seems to flood out of the top-most carb and runs down over the other 2. Not a stream, just a dribble. Also, I think my starter might be going out, because it has difficulty turning over now. Battery is brand new and fully charged. I'm not that experienced with these old motors, I just learn as I go. At this point I'm frustrated and have spent many, many hours on this thing. Also, what octane fuel should I be using on this old motor? Thanks. :confused: :confused:

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: '65 MERC900 Won't Start

The starter is probably weak, but the bigger problem is starting fluid. There is now zero lubrication in the cylinders.<br />Use WD40 for testing. But you have narrowed it down to fuel-related problem.<br />The carb dribbling fuel has a float needle valve,which is not cutting of the fuel.Iether the float has sunk, the tab is out of adjustment, or the needle is not seating all the way. You will have to dismantle it. I would also suspect the jet in the top of the fuel pickup is clogged internally. in all three. It is very common for this problem to surface on any outboard that hasn't been run in a year or so.<br />I would order three carb kits, and rebuild them.

gw-west

Recruit
Re: '65 MERC900 Won't Start

Thank you for you advice. I didn't even consider the starting fluid problem. What should I do about the cylinders having zero lube in them now? When you mentioned WD40, was that for the cylinders? (sorry, but i'm new to working on these engines). Thanks again!