'79 89HP Merc. / HARD PULLING

sramelyk

Seaman
I have a 15 foot procraft with a 80HP Mercury motor. At full speed the boat pulls very hard to the right, so much so that if I let go I would be worried about flipping.. Is there an adjustment on the motor to compensate? I don't know the name of the little fin on the lower unit, but it doesn't seem to move much in either direction.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: '79 89HP Merc. / HARD PULLING

Adjust the zinc trim tab (above the prop) by loosening it with a 1/2" socket, turning it CCW(as viewed from the top), and tightening it. If this doesnt help, trim up the motor using the power trim or moving the tilt pin up one hole, if you do not have power trim.

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

As Chris stated, the motor is meant to be trimmed up while underway until the steering achieves a neutral torque. Overtrimming will thus cause it to begin pulling to the left. If you don't have power trim, you need to find a trim setting that is a happy medium between adequate plane time and acceptable steering torque. Good luck. :cool:

sramelyk

Seaman

Great!! I didn't realize the purpose of trim apparently.. I usually just trim the motor all the way down, and go.. Sometimes to get more speed I will trim it up, but usuall just trim it all the way back down.