65 HP merc sparking at battery and ignition module

drickles

Recruit
65 HP merc. Not started since bought. All wires had insulation rotted off. Replaced all bad wiring with new one at a time. When I reconnect the red wire to the ignition module it sparks at the battery. When I remove the red wire from the ignition module and connect the battery, no spark at battery. I have 12 volts at the white terminal when red wire to ign. module is disconnected and battery connected. Please help. Is it possibe I have a bad ignition box and if so how much green am I gonna have to shell out for one? Serial number on motor is 2164847. Also it has the thunderbolt ignition.

sho305

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 65 HP merc sparking at battery and ignition module

Not sure if you have a problem but most modules have a capacitor in there to store power like a battery and will spark when first hooked up. Should not spark hardly after that when capacitor is filled up and will discharge after a time. <br /><br />This could be what is happening and is freaky when you hook up the wire to it when all is turned off and it pulls power. If you have a big zap something is amiss! Find the short/bad part.<br /><br />Just in case it is simple, but I do not know how much power you are sparking.