60hp. Merc dead ignition

tcaptain

Recruit
I'm working on a 60hp Merc. Ser# OB342759 with no fire. Its a 88 to 90 model with the trigger under the flywheel with 3 wires going to the switchbox. I'm getting no readings from the trigger when cranking and no static ohm's readings between any leads. I sure hate to replace the trigger if its something else. Any ideas?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 60hp. Merc dead ignition

If you get zero coninuity from the trigger leads, you have an open trigger winding..It sounds like you found the problem..Maybee. Rule-out the kill circuit and harness first. Disconect the kill wire at the engine,and see if you get fire.<br />The book states you can't check the trigger without using the fancy-schmancy merc thunderbolt ignition system analyzer (like everybody has one of these 500dollar tools, right?), but you should have some impedance across the windings of the trigger and stator.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

tcapt...you have 4 wires coming from the trigger....the 4th is marked WHT/BLK and is the 'common' for the other 3...test between the violet/white/brown and this wire for a ohms/crankin DVA check...

tcaptain

Recruit

OK, the trigger shows cranking continuity. The red lead from the stator shows a slight neg. reading, the blue lead shows 12 volts, and the blk/yellow lead shows 14 plus volts. nothing going out to the coils. Bad switchbox????

petryshyn

Commander

tcaptain<br /><br />Ya gotta do what oddd1 suggests. you're going to need a DVA adapter or peak reading meter. The voltages occur so quickly that a standard meter doesn't have time to register. I see 3 choices here:<br />1) Buy an adapter and check it thoroughly<br />2) Take it in to a mech.<br />3) Shoot blindly and replace parts<br /><br />just my .01 cents :)