Long or Short Shaft?????

Bunky

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there a way to tell on a Johnson, by the model number if it's a long or short shaft motor???? I see there's 20R70 and I see there was a 20RL70 I assume the 20RL70 is a long shaft???<br /><br />I'm asking because I have found a couple of motors a little distance away and the guys are sure if they are long or short shaft...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Long or Short Shaft?????

Yes, Bunky.<br /><br />The 20R70 is a recoil start, short shaft engine and the 20RL70 is a recoil start, long shaft engine.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Probably a short shaft, but ask them to measure where the motor bracket sits on the boat to the cavitation plate and that will give you the answer. Like this: Send them this pic if you a corresponding by E-mail or if they have internet access.<br /><br />
shaftexmp.jpg
<br /><br />Or URL:<br /><br /> web page

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

As JB confirmed. Thought it was a short shaft, but I thought I would throw that in...

Bunky

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So What stands for an Electric start??? And is there a chart somewhere on the web that tells the break down of terms for johnsons????

Bunky

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have 2 motors and both of them measure 18inches from the top of the transom to the top of the cavity plate..<br /><br />My understanding is that the 15 inches for short shaft is the transom height ....

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

18" is considered a short shaft, even though it's a little longer. Some made them that way... E or EL stands for electric start...

Bunky

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what about a "B" at the end of the 20R-69B?????