Damage Done But What

Arnie

Recruit
OK Here goes,I own a 1995 Nitro 170DC with a Mercury Tracker Pro Series 115 also 95 model.Not sure what happened but engine was ran without oil until it shut it self down.Oil was added and engine started ran fine.Next trip out a loose sound in engine started at speed of around 55mph when i backed off gas sound stoped did not attempt to raise speed after that.No alarm at anytime sounded.Next trip full of oil went out ran find but again at around same speed engine started makeing same loud loose or slinging sound.Before i could get my foot off pedal engine died .Flywheel want turn locked up.Was told engine may have ran hot.Water was coming from the small hole on left at normal stream not sure about T-tail.What damage may have occured on any of these two situations. :rolleyes:

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: Damage Done But What

You may have fried piston rings and/or bearings when the oil ran out. Pop off a head and inspect the cylinder walls for scoring and damage and see what you can tell from there.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Damage Done But What

Arnie, you probably smoked the motor....easy way to tell is pullin the exhaust covers off...if you ran it out of oil, the pistons are probably scored...now, you might find it passes a compression test, but visual inspection will show heavy scoring on the piston skirts...if the motor is locked up now, you may find one of the cylinder sleeves was pulled down [by a stuck piston] and is jamming the crankshaft.....lets hope not....by the way ...the head on this motor does not come off...is part of the block...