What year 20hp Mercury?

TarHeel

Cadet
We all assume too much at times. I assumed the seller knew the year of the Mercury 200 20 hp motor he sold me - he said it was a 1973. Since I've been working on it, I've ordered carb and wiring parts for a '73 and they fit. I would like to know for sure if this is a '73 or a '74 or a '72. I've looked in all the right places for the serial number but it's not there.<br /><br />The cowl cover has Mercury 200 on it and the faceplate has Mercury Thunderbolt. I've confirmed that it has the Phase-Maker Ignition System. I just got the Clymer shop manual and its pretty specific about certain years of the 200. What other type of information can I use to nail down the year for this motor?<br /><br />Thanks.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: What year 20hp Mercury?

Hi Tarheel,<br /> How about the serial number? Should be on the ID plate on the clamp brackets, or lacking that, stamped in the side of the cylinder block.<br />- Scott

TarHeel

Cadet

There is no identification plate on the transom mount. If there is a serial number on the engine block, I haven't found it. Which side would it be on? Top or bottom. Front of back?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Tarheel,<br /> The serial on the block would be toward the rear of the block, either on top near the coils, or on the side near the intake transfer port cover. If it's on the side, there's a flat webbing that it's stamped on. If it's on top, it'll be on the flat, near the exhaust cover...<br />- Scott

TarHeel

Cadet

Thanks Chinewalker, I will search for it tonight.

TarHeel

Cadet

I found a number on the back of the block above the spark plugs. Does 1022-3567 mean anything?<br /><br />Thanks

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi TarHeel,<br /> I believe that's a casting number. The serial number would be stamped in the block, probably about 12 point type, with a number in the 2 or 3 million range.<br />- Scott