MERCENSTIEN...The Horror Lives On!

nuffield

Recruit
I just purchased another project (like I need another one!). I thought it was a Mercury 200 hp outboard but found out that although the leg and engine cover is from a 1989 Mercury Black Max the engine block is a 1990 Mariner 150HP,I know this because of the serial numbers. I am pretty sure the power head is made of a combination of different engine parts due to the appearance of some of the parts. The block has been bored .015 over and looks fresh (no carbon build-up and clean bores)but the heads look like they may have some time on them (some salt in the cooling passages). My question is can anyone tell me what heads I have from the casting numbers? The number on the heads is 18787-C2. Sorry for the long lead to this question.<br />PS. I may be asking about the carbs in the future. I am in the process of tearing down the engine for inspection and rebuild if it is worth it.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: MERCENSTIEN...The Horror Lives On!

Mercury, Mariner, this vintage and HP no difference except paint job.What problems are you having that lead you to tearing this thing down?

kenthrussell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi well the big difference is bore size 200 compared to 150 the 150 bore size is 3,1/8 " and the bore for the 200's is 3,3/8, plus porting and carbs,i would also check to make sure the exhaust ports line up under the power head, ihave a set of 200hp carbs here if your interested.is this motor vertical or horizontal reeds?

nuffield

Recruit

The reason for the teardown is twofold. First is that I have good reason to believe this motor was sunk. The owner has passed on, but I have heard stories that his boat had sunk. The motor was definatly oiled up at one point but was sitting for about a year before I aquired it. The second reason is that the guy that sold it to be tried to work on it and disconnected some of the wiring and removed parts of the oil injection system. Before I purchased the motor I inpected the bores through the plug holes and made sure it turned over. From what I could see through the plug holes and the fact that the motor turned over it looked hopeful.I figure a teardown, Inspection, rings seals and gaskets would do both the engine and my piece of mind good. The reed plate is horizontal and the bore is just over 1 1/8. I know for a fact that the block is a 1990 Mariner from the frost plug serial number,but I want to make sure that the rest of the parts on this motor are compatible. I don't want to ruin the motor by being to hasty in my wanting to start it up. I got the motor cheap enough to put some time effort and money into it.