Can't get it to start!

marinegundoctor

Recruit
I'm trying to get my old '63 Mercury to start. It's 85hp, inline 6 (thanks to everyone for getting that info for me earlier). I'm mixing TC-W3 oil 50:1 in 87 oct fuel. To the best of my knowledge it has sat for about a year. It ran prior to it's yearlong sleep. Would plain old starting fluid work, or would that harm the engine? I'm going to get some new plugs, too. I figure that's got to help. What's a decent type of plug to use? <br />Thanks,<br />Rusty<br /> marinegundoctor@hotmail.com

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: Can't get it to start!

Migh consider dropping the carb bowls and checking for gunk. A can of carb cleaner can save you a lot of grief later. As for plugs, some swear by Champions, I prefer NGK. Not a big deal there. Are you currently getting spark? Fuel to carbs? As for starting fluid, don't use it. WD-40 makes a good marine starting fluid, as it will lubricate the engine while cranking. Regular ether washes oil off of bearings and cylinder walls. Ouch! :eek:

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm in agreement with Fouled Plug...I'll bet your carbs are gummed up. Checking for spark would be the first thing to do though...that only takes a quick minute.<br /><br />I remember my dad religiously running the fuel out of the carbs on his Merc Mark 55 each time he pulled it out of the water. Was this a normal practice years ago? I could never get him to explain why he did that...just that he'd "always done it that way". Every spring, he'd have to lug that thing down to our Merc mech. and have the carbs de-varnished. Gee, I wonder what caused them to get that way?? Guess they didn't have fuel stabilizer back then...<br /><br />Good luck on getting your Merc 850 fired up. Keep us posted...<br /><br />Walt

Rex

Chief Petty Officer

PUT PLUG IN AND USE SOME TYPE OF STARTING<br />FUILD. AFTER ABOUT 1 MINUTE IT SHOULD RUN.<br />NEVER RUN THE FUEL OUT OF THE CARBS.