Merc Classic 50 questions

Danny

Recruit
After having my merc classic 50 (45hp) engine worked on ALL summer (from mid-april until Aug 18), I finally was called and told it was working. <br />I went to try it out and it does run, and runs good. Now my questions.<br />I noticed no water was now coming out of the 'Pee-hole'. It was coming out of the exhaust <br />however. I questioned them about it and was told the 'pee-hole' was probably clogged and I could just run a wire in it and probably clean it out. I don't ever remember water coming out of the exhaust before I had it worked on, but it does now.<br />I was told that the engine takes water in, pumps it up to cool the engine, and it comes out the exhaust AND the pee-hole. Is this correct? It doesn't look like a great amount of water coming out of the exhaust, and I want to be sure it is enough to cool the engine. I did run it in the water for more than an hour, a lot at full throttle and it seemed to run fine. I felt if it were going to give overheat problems it would have.<br />Can someone clarify for me where all I should see water coming from after it has cooled the engine. There was no oil or anything coming out of the exhaust, just the normal smoke and <br />now water.<br />I am not an outboard mechanic as you can see.<br />One other thing. I was told that the problem with my engine was the exhaust was almost totally clogged with carbon. I do know that the pee-hole pushed water out ever since I have had this engine (5+ yrs), and I don't remember EVER seeing water come out of the exhaust. (I just may not have seen it) I was told the pee-hole was just to let ME know it was pumping water through the engine, as I could not easily see the exhaust.<br />Will I hurt anything by trying to open the pee-hole with a piece of wire?<br />Thanks and sorry for the long message.<br />Danny

kev_79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Merc Classic 50 questions

Danny,<br /> You don't really need to run it without water coming out of the pee hole. I may well be pumping water, and like on a force, which don't have a pee hole, it just comes out the exhaust. The pee hole is usually connected to a hose that runs to the head or block of the engine. You could take that off and replace or shoot out with air. I think he lied when he said that the pee hole is only for you to know if the water is circulating. That is a good attribute of it, but it is there to serve a cooling purpose.

Danny

Recruit

Kev_79,<br /><br />Thanks for the reply! Is checking the pee-hole for proper connection something I can do relatively easily or do I need to take it back to the shop (1/12 hour trip pulling a 24 ft. pontoon boat)?<br />I kind of felt like I was not being told everything correctly. How in the world do I get to it? I am mechanically inclined, but a coward when it comes to taking stuff off my outboard. I am almost positive when they had my motor apart, they just didn't get something hooked up when they put it back together. He said it may be stopped up, but it wasn't before...even though it has been sitting. (may be a dirt-dobbers work) Will I hurt anything by trying to clean it out with a wire, and if I do, how far do I push the wire into the engine?<br />I REALLY appreciate your info. The people who worked on it seem honest, and I think he was just trying to put my mind at ease about the pee-hole, I don't think he was trying to mislead me. He said they ran it about an hour, and I know I did over an hour. What will happen if I run it w/o water coming out the pee-hole? Wouldn't it have already shown a problem having run it already? I just can't spend anymore now as I put furniture on my boat AND worked on the engine to the tune of 2 grand already this summer...for an hour of use. <br />Thanks again!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Danny,<br /><br />The "pee hole" serves two purposes. The first one is as a telltale for your reference - easily visible from front of motor. The second is to act as a vent to prevent a vapor lock in the cylinder block's cooling passages. By all means, clean it out and get it flowing again. Compressed air and a paper clip should do the trick. <br /><br />However, only a small fraction of the water goes out the pee-hole. Some of it will go out the above-water exhaust relief in the rear of the exhaust housing, but most of it will go out the through hub exhaust in your propeller.<br /><br />Save the miles on your trailer and tow vehicle!<br />- Scott

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

CHINEWALKER speaks the truth...LOL..compressed air is a wonderful thing for this prob...