Is a 1993 9.9 horse Nissan for $650 a good price ?

MATTT

Seaman
Hello, everyone.<br /><br />I am planning to buy a 1993 9.9horse Nissan outboard from a guy for $650.00. Is that a good price ? It would start on a second pull, but first pull when the engine has been running. The motor looks good and has no damage. What should I be looking for when buying a nissan out board beside the price ?<br /><br />Thank you so much for the info.<br /><br />Mattt.

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: Is a 1993 9.9 horse Nissan for $650 a good price ?

mattttttt, if you dnot buy it, tell ME where it is. i have 3 nissans, 2 5hp's and 1 8hp....that motor is worth every penny.... either make sure you can do the maintenence yourself or make sure there are dealers nearby, they are usually sparce around here.... but as for the motor, its extremely light, only 52 pounds and these motors run for a zillion years.... they are very very very eas and simple to work on and are light on gas and can go WOT for hours on end.....the only drawback the motors have is that they dont have a huge dealer network... if you can get over that aspect of it, talk the guy down to 550 or maybe 600, every lil bit helps, right?!?! and then have fun...... email me if you need any help on these pups.......

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ditto, price seems fair...... ;)

MATTT

Seaman

Wow !!! That is fast. I already have two replies. Thanks, Phatmanmike and luna. I'll pick up the motor later today.<br /><br />Cheer !!!<br /><br />Alex.

buckeye_sean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MATTT, just bought almost the exact motor a month ago. $650 sounds very fair, and you won't be disappointed. I paid $1000 for mine, but it is electric start and came with the control box and cables. Like Mike mentioned, local dealers are scarce but parts can be found online - and I am finding out a NISSAN is a very reliable motor.<br /><br />Good luck!

ztim

Chief Petty Officer

Good deal! From what I have been told, a used motor in good shape is worth $100 per HP.

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

Up to a point. A used 125 isn't worth $12,500.

Alex65

Seaman

Mattt: I just purchased a brand new Tohatsu 9.8 HP (15 SS) for $1200.00 I check @:<br /><br />www.marineengine.com/price_guide/<br /><br />Here's a copy & paste for a Tohatsu/Nissan 9.9 HP 15 SS<br /><br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /> <br /> <br />TOHATSU <br />1993 <br /> <br /> <br /> Model: M9.9B2 S <br /> Motor Type: Gasoline <br /> Volts (Electric Motors): <br /> Thrust (Electric Motors): <br /> Horsepower: 9.9 <br /> Cylinders: 2 <br /> Start Type: Manual <br /> Dry Weight: 81 <br /> Power Tilt and Trim: No <br /> Low Retail: $250 <br /> Average Retail: $295 <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br />I think $650.00 is a little high. Maybe if you could score it for $500.00 or under, considering the average retail is $295.00 <br /><br />Tohatsu are super reiable engines & that's why a purchase one. Also, because of it's power to weight ratio. Just thought I throw in my 2 cents worth.<br /><br />Alex

mulv80

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know where NADA gets their info but they are always unrealistically low. If I could buy tohatsu 9.9s for $295 I'd buy everyone I could find. $650 sounds fair to me.

tygh

Cadet

Just saw a 1999 15hp Nissan for $950 on EBay.

MATTT

Seaman

I'll try to talk the guy down to $500.00 since it won't start til the 8 or 9 pulls the last few time I tried to start it. He told me that it always start on the first pull when he used it. It doesn't seem to be like that anymore. I probably decarb the motor after I bought it.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Mattt.

mulv80

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Matt, Why dont you ask if you can try the motor on your boat. Make sure everything is ok then offer less. Motors can sometimes run ok in a barrel or on a flush device but not ok on a boat. Check it out thoroughly.

MATTT

Seaman

mulv80,<br /><br />I did, he let me put it on my boat and try it. The motor would start up fine when it has been running. If I wait a day and start the motor again, it would take about 8 or 9 pulls before anything happen.<br /><br />I think the guy put a little too much oil when he mix it with gas. He put 16oz of oil to five gallons of gas, because of that it might foul the plugs. What do you think ?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Mattt.

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

8-9 pulls is still not bad. u dont know the engine so it might only need half choke to get her running i have an few old 9.5s and i have heard people starting them with 3 pulls but i have never got mine to fire that fast it takes me 6-7 times and a few squeazes of the primer bulb to get her to fire . but after she is running they will start first pull. it might be the mix it might need a good decarb or it might just be the nature of the beast.also how new is the gas mix and does he use fuel stablizer? i always keep my fuel line hooked to my outboard and if i dont use her for a while i make sure i give the primer bulb a few pumps so i know there is fuel in the carb bowl.the worst thing people do is let them run out of fuel and the rest will evaperate and leave varnish in the bowls.this might be what he has done and it started to varnish up alittle. eather way thats a great deal even if it needs a carb cleaned i am sure u can handle that. NADA is a dream book because we would all like to find motors at that price.