65 merc cuts out!!!!

fisherboy

Recruit
i have a 65 merc serial#1931536 on 14 foot tri-hull that a friend gave me. motor runs but cuts out at high speed. motor has sat for a couple of years.also leaks gas out of carbs after running for a while could flouts be stuck? any suggestions? help please!!!!!!! :confused:

clydecbd

Recruit
Re: 65 merc cuts out!!!!

Not an expert but it could be stuck float. Carb cleaner should help there. If boat has been sitting up a while make sure you use fresh gas in the tank. If the tanks are metal check for rust. If there is any rust in the tank it will eventually get into the fuel filter.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

If you squeez the primer, and gas comes out of the carb, It is stuick float needle, or sunk float,not seating the needle.<br />Try gently tapping the bowl,while the primer is squeezed. Sometimes this will free them up, if it's a stuck needle.

jamjbon

Cadet

I just had the same problem on a 61 merc 700<br />I ordered the carb repair kits and cleaned the carbs overnight in solution. Its runs like new one now... also check for float saturation.You can buy a new float seperately rather than spending 58 dollars on a rebuild kit. Good luck.<br /><br /> :D

jamjbon

Cadet

Sorry I forgot to mention earlier....If the motor has not ben used in 2 years, it probably has a good buildup of old gasoline and oil, which will turn into a green hard substance...this is almost impossible to remove without soaking the carb in solution for a while. I would also recommend replacing "ALL" fuel lines because the buildup remains inside the lines as well.This step may not be necessary but is recommended. Good luck!!