My 95hp Merc Inline 6

Grizzly

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: My 95hp Merc Inline 6

Hi Leo, Your question covers such a broad area that the techs would probably have to write a book to cover it. You really need a manual. I'll try to give you something simple to try-that's about the limit of my experience. See if your motor is fully shifting into reverse in other words the linkage is adjusted. Remove the cowl and find the (2) cable guide block assemblies. Study how they operate as someone works the controls. You will see that the top cable works the spark advance/throttle and the bottom cable works the gear If it is not "snapping" into reverse, or you can't tell, you need to remove the linkages, and work the shift lever at the front of the motor by hand. Before you start, pay 1.50 for a little telescoping magnet.You'll be willing to pay $50 later, 'cause you WILL drop pieces out of reach. If you have a digital camera take pictures of anything that may give you a problem going back. Put it in neutral to disconnect. That will give you a reference point. There is a latch just inside the cowl that I can't explain how to undo, just have patience and watch your language. When you get the linkages loose,at the latch and the guideblocks, snap the shifter at the front of the motor into the three positions. If you noticed that the arm was a little out of position when you disconnected it, you may be in luck. Now check the prop as follows; Forward-prop should not turn counterclockwise. Neutral-rotates freely either direction. Reverse-rotates 1/3 turn in either direction. Work right? Put it back together. First, snap shifter arm into and neutral/ operator control into nuetral and hopefully you will have to adjust the threaded brass thingee on the cable a few turns to put it back. If it's just out of adjustment, this will proably solve your problem. If not, get a manual, study it, then jump in and let the experts guide you over the rough spots, which they will gladly do if you make a commitment and help your self. If you need more help with this ask a specific question and and someone will help you. Don't worry about asking "stupid" questions, that gives ME some to answer. Life is good!-G. :D