mercruiser 170

rb1spark

Recruit
Our I/O mercruiser motor quit running during a trip and we had to be towed. We found water in the fourth piston chamber. My husband and friend thought it might have been a blown headgasket. He and a friend had the top part of the motor machined and they replaced the gasket. When they put the motor back together they still had the same problem. They are thinking that it may be a blown piston. While they were working on the motor a fellow boater said that Mercruiser 170's were terrible engines and that they would be better off replacing the engine then repairing it. What would be the best course of action? <br /> :confused:

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: mercruiser 170

Best course of action?...find a competent tech to repair your engine....the motors you are refering to are no better or worse than any other,your just happens to be broken. changing the motor to something different is usually not an economic option...if you are truly unhappy with the boat, repair it and sell it to someone else....ask your husband about the gasket between the manifold and the exhaust elbow, is a common failure on these engines that allows water back into the cylinders.......good luck...

BREEZE41

Recruit

Better yet, replace that whole elbow. Most common failue in these engines. I have many parts, but I won't sell used elbows.<br />Kevin<br />brzwrking@yahoo.com

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

The 224 ci engines are great. The biggest problem with this engine is the set up. If you follow the book you will burn a piston. Most common the number three hole. We learned years ago number one pull the timming back to 6 degrees. Check the dwell twice a year. graffite riser gasket. SAE 40 or SAE 50 oil. This engine stores alot of heat because of the alu. block. If it has the small heat exchanger we replace it with the larger one on the 180 and 190 hp.version. If you are thinking of replacing it the mount have to be redone in the boat. replace the riser ever 6 years. Look what you have first befor you chuck it. There is alot of after market parts for this engine. set up is key. Vinney