Hard to Restart

Reel Estate

Recruit
I recently purchased a 1979 17' Mako with a '94 100hp Merc. While I am able to fire up the motor easily once I have stopped to fish for a while, I have difficulty restarting the engine; specifically, it tries to start (it engages) but does not "ignite" or fire up...the first few times i took the boat out and encountered this problem I tried pumping up the primer bulb, which led to engine flooding...i was advised that all i needed to start up a "warm" engine was to pull the throttle lever out (into neutral) and throttle up slowly once or twice and turn the key...again, this method worked only after about 20 attempts over a half-hour period... the starter...has anyone else experienced this problem? how do you deal with it?

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hard to Restart

Since the motor is new to you, I would start with a compression check and a thorough decarbonization treatment. Then reset the idle mixtures making sure they arn't too rich. Max throttle in neutral for max air on a hot restart.

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Reel Estate,<br /><br />I see you made over to this board. I will get you back to the top, and maybe JB, Corm, ODDD1 will get in on it. There is a guy named Dhadley too who is pretty sharp, but I haven't seen much of him lately.<br /><br />Good luck, <br />Swampdogg at the hull truth

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Pumping the bulb should not, at any time, flood the motor. That would lead me to think the needle/seats in the carbs are leaking. That being the case means it's time for some carb work.<br /><br />Perhaps what you are experiencing is with the engine being just run, there is residual fuel pressure leading into the carbs, and at shutdown, rather than retain the pressure in the line it is draining it off into the carb(s) throat(s) causing a flooded condition during restart.