cooling system - novice question

tcs1

Recruit
I acquired an old 90hp Mariner (w/manual) that appears to be low hours.<br /><br />I have not had it in the water yet but I replaced the impeller as a precaution.<br /><br />When I run the motor with the flush attachment I get a steady stream of water out the "pee" hole. However, when I put the motor into gear the flow out the "pee" hole stops.<br /><br />Is this normal? or is there a problem?<br /><br />Apologies if this is a stipid question. Thanks.

Trent

Captain
Re: cooling system - novice question

After you put it into gear..Rev it up a little. Does the water come out then?

tcs1

Recruit

No, reving it up does not cause it to start peeing again.<br /><br />One additional bit of info, The rubber Pee tube was broken so I replaced it with a piece of clear tubing that was a little bigger diameter.

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

No prob. on the replaced "pee tube"?!?<br />I just had the rubber hose hanging out of one of my engines after I broke the plastic thingy and it worked fine for many moons. Check your motor with the lower end submerged in a garbage can full of water to get a good test. The earmuffs don't work very well. I bet you'll see a good stream flowing at all times.<br /><br />Hint: the can doesn't last long if you run it in gear and the prop hits the side. <br /> :D

tcs1

Recruit

I'll try running it in a can next weekend.<br />thanks.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Just a thought, but wouldn't it be easier to run that engine in a big trashcan full of water WITHOUT the prop??? Just ah thought.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty