Trim tabs

MrBrownTrout

Cadet
Would trim tabs help control bow hop?????<br />If so which ones would be better, smart tabs or bennet tabs??????

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Trim tabs

Hey Charles,<br />I'm surprised that trim tab guy ain't on you like white on rice! I'm sure he will be though, just keep this post close to the top.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

radsrh

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes trim tabs will control bow hop as well as uneven load and help you plain sooner and stay on at a slower speed. I would go with the bennet tabs, one big problem with the smart tabs is when you back away from a dock or are fighting a fish and need to back up the smat tabs dig into the water and bring the back down with them, there is no way to trim them up and out of the way in reverse.

walleyehed

Admiral

The size of vessel we are talking about would be very informative before recommending a tab set-up.<br />If you back up fast enough that the small surface area of your tabs pull the stern down, you are known as a driver, not an operator.<br />Please tell your type of craft and your main use of such.....

Maximerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was not thrilled about putting tabs on the back of my boat ... but I am thrilled with them I had very bad hop its gone now. also the boat no longer "wanders" at no wake speed. I made clips to keep mine up if I want to beach .. I have never used them. beached the boat several times and still have plenty of clearance "tab to bottom" My 2 cents

walleyehed

Admiral

Maximerc, good point...The instructions with smart tabs have a portion instructing how to set up retainers to quickly lift if needed.<br />How'bout some info on the size of that boat Mr. Newton???

MrBrownTrout

Cadet

Its an 18' westcoaster bayrunner series with center console, 85hp yamaha outboard on an offset trim and tilt plate. With a 13 1/8 x 16 SS prop.

LubeDude

Admiral

Personally I would say that because your boat is on the lite side, less than 20', probably sees fresh water mostly or bays, you would be better off with the self adjusting Smart Tabs. Operator adjustable tabs are not very forgiving on a lite boat. Backing up hasnt been a bit of a prblem on mine with the Smart Tabs. MHO.

walleyehed

Admiral

Mr. Newton, I have an 18ft alum. deep-V with 200 (+)HP. I have installed a set of Nauticus Mobster tabs on mine for the purpose of eliminating chine walk due to the speeds I'm capable of, but at cruise, I'm very happy with the handling qualities, and I do have a good comparison because I used to have a 115HP on this boat.<br />I've ran about every size boat up to a 57ft Carver here on Texoma, and have used many systems (Tabs), and I really feel you would be very happy with the Smart-Tabs, also from Nauticus, and sold right here at iboats.

MrBrownTrout

Cadet

Well looks like I am going to have to give the smart tabs a try.....thanx for all the replies

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Radsrh;<br /><br />Just curious, have you used Smart Tabs? Or is this an assumption? We have not experienced the problem since the tabs are only deployed about 2 1/2" at slow speeds. If you have experienced this problem i would like to talk to you so that we can determine what we can do to correct it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I'm kind of interested in how smart tabs would react to a big following sea. I’m currently use hydraulic tabs and if I have any tab down at all it's usually bad news.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

WE have addressed this issue on a number of occassions on this site. There has never been a problem that I am aware of in over five years. <br /><br />Smart Tabs do not lift the stern at cruising speeds enough to keep the trim on the motor from raising the bow if required. If you would like a longer explanation of exactly how they work under this condition please contact me through our web site www.Nauticusinc.com Thanks!

radsrh

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have not used smart tabs I had gone right for the bennet tabs based on a trail from Ship Shape TV. John had used the smart tabs on one of his boats and then replaced them with bennet's after having the problem with the tabs when backing the boat.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Radsrh;<br /><br />When John (Ship Shape TV) Installed the Smart Tabs for the Ship Shape TV segment on his 22 ft Maco, he had a serious problem with the boat balance. One of his earlier segmants he had installed a large Tuna Tower which made the lean severly in all directions, including toward the stern. He also installed a large OB set back with about a 15 degree rake which increased the stern weight and makes the motor dig in in reverse. In my discussions with John I told him that the tabs were down too far given the boat set up. What you should know is that John uses the boat for a TV "prop", and when he was asked to do another Trim Tab segment (for manually operated Tabs) this was the boat he uses for this type of equipment installation. <br /><br />The boat realy needed Trim Tabs due to the balance issues and we do not make tabs as large as that boat needed. The minimum Tab size on that boat should have been at least 18" wide. The TV segment with Smart Tabs on the boat showed significant improvements in performance and stability, but the boat was still top heavey with the tower.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Rudderman;<br /><br />We are in the process of many changes and web hosting of our site. Hopefully we will fix all of the problems. Sorry for the inconvenience.