Please another "what year" is my Mercury motor question

robsd

Seaman Apprentice
I just got this Mercury 110, 9.8hp. I trying to get some parts for it and the Mercury dealer usually take down the info and never return my call. I did get one shot to look it up while I waited and the said the number didn't show up in the computer. We have no idea how old it is. There is only one tag on the motor and it says serial number 2845961.<br /><br />Thanks for the help,<br />Rob

robsd

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Please another "what year" is my Mercury motor question

Sorry, answered my own question. I decided to give the factory a call. They were able to look up the part numbers I needed and give me the numbers to order online. I also ordered owner, service, and parts list from Mercury. The serial number didn't tell the young lady the year of my motor, but the manuals did. 1970 model. I can't believe it's 32 years old. The contact numbers are at www.mercurymarine.com. Nice people.<br /><br />Rob

chumbucket

Petty Officer 1st Class

Robj You mean you got a real person when you called Mercury !!!!!!! Not a recording like lot of these company's you call . Maybe mercury mean's to please ???

mercury16

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Robj, i just got the same motor only at the moment its a non-runner,anyway what do u think of them. Whats wrong with yours exactley cause mine has had me going mad,I just cant seem to find the problem with it.<br /> Although there old,when I bought mine I was told that there good engines(that is ...when its running).<br />cheers... :)

robsd

Seaman Apprentice

Chum, Yeah no problem, called the number in WI listed on the site, a real person answered the phone, I asked for tech/parts help, connected me to another real person. The young lady helped collect all the part numbers. I then called a local dealer and the numbers checked out. Parts on order.<br /><br />Mercury16,<br /><br />Well if you follow a couple of my recent posts my neighbor just gave me this motor, a 14' jon boat and a trailer. (free!!). My first boat. I thought the motor was 10-15 years old. He used it in some salt water but kept the motor in the garage. When I finally figured out how to remove the cover I thought it was maybe 5 years old. Spotless under the cover. A little gas and it would fire up but wouldn't run well. I replaced the fuel lines, bulb and line, plugs, cleaned out the carb and found a small crack in the air vacumn side of the fuel pump. I put some sealer over the crack and it runs great. The impeller wouldn't pull water unless it was about 18" in water. I pulled that apart Sunday night and noticed that the rubber had "set" just like Fouled Plug had mentioned. I have that $11.00 part on order along with a $40.00 fuel pump. I ordered the manuals just because. I ran the motor in a 55 gallon barrel on Sunday for about 30 minutes..in gear at about 1/2 throttle. Never missed a lick. I got a phone call and the thing idled for about 15 minutes. I think I'm ready for the Trinity River. I just need to a bit more research on getting a licence for it. I think I have to title the boat but not the motor because of it's age. I believe in Texas now you have to title the motor and boat. Not sure about a 14' Jon boat. I'll call TPW.<br /><br />Thanks All,<br />Rob

robsd

Seaman Apprentice

Chum, Yeah no problem, called the number in WI listed on the site, a real person answered the phone, I asked for tech/parts help, connected me to another real person. The young lady helped collect all the part numbers. I then called a local dealer and the numbers checked out. Parts on order.<br /><br />Mercury16,<br /><br />Well if you follow a couple of my recent posts my neighbor just gave me this motor, a 14' jon boat and a trailer. (free!!). My first boat. I thought the motor was 10-15 years old. He used it in some salt water but kept the motor in the garage. When I finally figured out how to remove the cover I thought it was maybe 5 years old. Spotless under the cover. A little gas and it would fire up but wouldn't run well. I replaced the fuel lines, bulb and line, plugs, cleaned out the carb and found a small crack in the air vacumn side of the fuel pump. I put some sealer over the crack and it runs great. The impeller wouldn't pull water unless it was about 18" in water. I pulled that apart Sunday night and noticed that the rubber had "set" just like Fouled Plug had mentioned. I have that $11.00 part on order along with a $40.00 fuel pump. I ordered the manuals just because. I ran the motor in a 55 gallon barrel on Sunday for about 30 minutes..in gear at about 1/2 throttle. Never missed a lick. I got a phone call and the thing idled for about 15 minutes. I think I'm ready for the Trinity River. I just need to a bit more research on getting a licence for it. I think I have to title the boat but not the motor because of it's age. I believe in Texas now you have to title the motor and boat. Not sure about a 14' Jon boat. I'll call TPW.<br /><br />Thanks All,<br />Rob