What can I run off a lighting coil?

LOLHJ

Seaman Apprentice
Hey everyone,<br /><br />I have an '86 Mariner 30 hp engine, I have a plug comming off the lighting coil, what is this for, and what can I use it for? Thanks.<br />-John

Trent

Captain
Re: What can I run off a lighting coil?

Are they two wires? I think your talking about the wires that hook to the regulator/rectifier for battery charging.

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

I'm not sure about the older Mariner's but most any outboard with an ac lighting coil will run ac lights for the boat. It's my understanding some form of ac lighting is required in several European countries and thats where the devices are used most. You can get ac bulbs from an rv place and set them up in your boat - but - you need to know the wattage rating of your ac coil. If you wire in too much wattage, the lights will be too dim to be useful. Wire in too little wattage and you'll constantly burn out the bulbs. I've heard of folks hooking up the ac lighting coil to a rectifier, but charging capability for even the smallest battery would be minimal.<br /><br />-John

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Johns got it...the coil was just an energy source for your night time running lights...

LOLHJ

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks a lot guys that answers a lot of questions I have- and it does make a lot of sense.<br /><br />One more question- where would one hook a tach to this engine? It has no alternator or electric start-<br /><br />I already have a teleflex tach- <br /><br />Thanks for the info<br />-John

skier

Petty Officer 1st Class

J:<br /><br />Tach hookup is easy for Mercury/Mariner engines. Look at the front of the controls either on the side or on the end at the bottom. There should be a plug with three pins, If you don't already have the harness, go to a parts house and get a Tach Harness for your engine and follow the directions. It's a piece of taco.<br /><br />Craig ;)

petryshyn

Commander

Yo J<br /><br />Tach might be a bit of a challenge, since you have no battery/charging system. If you run into a dead end, I may be able to help design a simple circuit to get around this...<br /><br /> :)