'91 Merc 115 - brittle tubing!!!

David Koret

Recruit
Hi folks, <br />Brand new to the forum and to boat owning for that matter- including being mechanically challenged!! As such I have faithfully brought my boat into the authorized Merc dealer that I purchased it from 3 years ago for servicing. Picked it up 2 weeks ago and brought it up to the lake only to discover (after the motor quit and someone up there took a look) that the clear plastic tubing that connects the auto oil injector to the engine had dried up and broken. Being 2 miles from the ramp with it getting dark I idled back and by the time I got there the engine had developed a rattling sound. The guy at the lake told me I probably had scored one or more of the cyllinders and that the rattling might also indicate one of the rods had come loose and recommended I bring it back to the dealer. He ran a compression check and got readings of 160, 145, 160 and 135. My question is: it sounds like this drying up of the tubing is a common matter, should the dealer have noticed it and replaced it when the boat was serviced. Also, what must I do now to make sure the engine is completely OK. I fish by myself in some remote areas on Sam Rayburn and would hate to find myself broken down when I should've anticipated some repair. Do all the cyllinders need to be examined and possibly rebored? I'm anxious about the dealer blowing me off and would like to know what a reasonable solution to my problem is. Thanks all.

imported_Little_Bear

Seaman Apprentice
Re: '91 Merc 115 - brittle tubing!!!

David,<br />I too, had this problem with my Merc 100 89'. I caught the problem before the hose broke. I was working on something else when I noticed a crack in the tubing, I then replaced every hose on it with a heavy duty fuel line. This is a problem that should have been addressed by Mercury long ago. Sorry to hear about your engine.<br />Good Luck,<br />Little Bear

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander
Re: '91 Merc 115 - brittle tubing!!!

Just a Thought...if for any reason I lost the oil supply, I would likely find a way to at least pour enough oil into the gasoline to allow it to run without causing damage to the motor...just a thought